Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Date and Place-Check!

Welp, after many visits, emails, phone calls, to various venues...We have a VENUE! ::::cheers from the crowd::::  Let me begin by telling you how it is that we stumbled upon this treasure!


You've all heard read about our trip to Heritage Green in Sandy Springs. Not too shabby. Didn't love it. Didn't hate it. It had potential. Unfortunately we weren't looking for "potential." We were looking for something unique and natural and truly reflected our style. So what did I do? Schedule more visits to venues exactly like Heritage Green. Sigh....Sarah in her brilliant moments. So after deciding that we simply could not go look at every venue together (and Trey wasn't interested in these at all!) I drag happily bring my mom along to look at two more venues that, in reality, I knew weren't exactly going to be it! She was such a trooper! So helpful and encouraging. And honest. Our first trip took us to  a lovely place in Norcross where, it just so happened, the in house caterer used to own a restaurant directly across from my mother's work! Small world right? So after hearing how delicious the food was I may have been sold! They way to a woman's heart is through her stomach...errr, anyway. However, after sharing information about the venue with my dear, very involved, fiance we decided that it was only an option if we couldn't find anything else. Fail...onto the next one!


Then, after filling our hungry bellies (smelling that tomato sauce would've made your stomach growl too!) with delicious Panera...we headed off to our next venue. As we run in to the bathroom (another brilliant moment...not going before we left Panera, GREAT first impression) Mom looks into the reception area and says "This isn't it. I can see all of the cars in the parking lot. Not a good view." Welp, I asked for honesty. BUT, like the troopers  we both are...we stuck it out as we were "pitched" into using this venue to celebrate our betrothment. Once again...fail.


So I essentially came home on Saturday after an exhausting, yet SUCCESSFUL, wedding dress shopping adventure to more failed venues. Sheesh! Welp, my very involved fiance informs me that Sunday he wants to go visit a place his aunt has mentioned to him and a state park up in Cleveland. Let me run you through my stream of consciousness regarding both of these places. State Park in Cleveland...do they do weddings in state parks? Where will we get ready? Where will we stay? There's NOTHING in Cleveland (err, very little). Oh well, I'll appease him as he has mentioned it several times. Maybe we can balance out our "failed venue ideas since I've struck out!"


On Sunday morning we get up and head up to the mountains. After speaking with the park manager we learn that all five cottages have to be rented and for two whole nights. YIKES. My first thought was, "Welp this is out...it's going to be entirely too pricey!" Turns out, being a small state park and all, it wasn't too bad! As we drive through the property and view the cottages and the landscape I being immediately talking about where I want pictures (to include a funny sign along a trail saying "Critters Welcome!"), how we could set up a ceremony on the lawn, how nice it would be to have an indoor/outdoor reception, etc. Okay, so perhaps I was a LITTLE excited.....or thrilled...or pumped. Take your pick. So, we keep it in mind (though Trey apparently secretly hoping I love it!) and head off to Loganberry Heritage Farm to check out this lovely barn his aunt has raved about!


As we arrive I am immediately in love. Flowers are everywhere. The view is spectacular. It is so incredibly unique in seating, in view, in...well, EVERYTHING! However, Trey on the other hand...didn't love it. Liked it...maybe. But love it he didn't. So, as we're talking through "logistics" with his aunt and it suddenly isn't looking so good. The more we talk, the less we love the barn...and surprisingly the more we begin to LOVE the state park. As we walk back to the cars his aunt and uncle immediately begin planning for us. (I now understand why people have a wedding planner...whew!) As ideas start swirling I am getting more and more excited, until...in all honesty, we have a plan. Now all we have to do is get the stars to align and work out exactly how we want.


And that's where things go wrong. First thing Monday morning I call, all prepared with my dates ready to lay down a deposit and finally secure our location. Only to hear "oh, two of the main cottages are booked that weekend." And...our plan crashes. Okay, Plan B: The end of Spring Break? Sure enough, someone else is getting married that weekend. Popular. UGH! So I call Trey completely devastated...and he calls the venue. So, while it may not be exactly when we want it, and it may not be the best time (not Spring Break and right before CRCT Testing) we have secure Smithgall Woods for April 19 and 20 with our ceremony taking place on the 20th! WOO HOO! So...if I seem like someone in need of sedation in April, give me a hug! :)


For those of you curious folks, here is the site: http://www.gastateparks.org/SmithgallWoods/


The cottage shown is where we will host our reception with the reception on the lawn outside! We are very excited to share our "wedding weekend" with some of our favorite people! And...I'm thrilled to at least have something to check off the long list of "to-dos!"

2 comments:

  1. My ex's sister got married there, and he said it was a beautiful wedding, and they loved the cottages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue-I'm so excited they liked it! We also loved the cottages and the idea of making an entire weekend out of it!

      Delete